Saturday 28 July 2018

Important Update

Hello everyone.

I suppose this is an announcement of sorts.

In short, my drive to work on Rags to Riches has slowed to a near halt. Don't panic, I will continue to write and update; however I need to release myself of the stress it is causing me. This is my hobby, not my job. Progress on the game will continue slowly and at my own pace as I work on other projects, some furry and others private.

When I first set out to write 72 Hours, my main concern I had from learning from other writers was seeing how readily these projects can be abandoned. I planned to write a short game with a simple plot and a nice variety of scenes, as I saw that the commitment required for a large project was so hard to come by. Having completed my short game at 25,000 words, my ambition grew to work on something larger, Rags to Riches. From the start I pictured the game would perhaps grow to be 70,000-80,000 words long. Right now it sits at over 120,000 words and yet is hardly halfway complete. The game grows and grows as I come up with more and more ideas, and at this point my plan for it is inconceivably large from my perspective as I envision the final product potentially hitting around 300,000 words, should I ever complete everything I have planned.

It is my dream to complete this, but over the past month my progress on the game has slowed significantly; my commitment to finishing this is overshadowed by the immensity of the task. I want to turn my attention to other things. I need to focus on what I enjoy writing, and writing for this game has become a slog for me. I absolutely adore the world and characters I have created, and I will certainly not be leaving them behind. I will still continue to work on this game, albeit slowly, but I cannot handle the commitment necessary to give regular updates and satisfy patrons as well as I'd like.

My Patreon will be shut down next month. Current patrons will have access to a final poll next month and an exclusive cheat mode for the next version. Updates for the game will continue here, on my blog. I will still accept commissions independently and fully intend to complete those currently planned and in progress.

Working on this game for the past few months has been an amazing experience, and I can't thank you all enough for how you've responded to my work. I love this community so much, and I'm so glad I've been able to contribute something to it. To my supporters, my patrons and my friends: thank you so much for everything. I hope one day I am able to finish this, but for now, I'm going to take things at my own pace.

Thank you for your understanding.

Lapis xx

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the hard work Lapis,

    Rags to Riches has definitely been a game going strong, and while it is disappointing that you feel stressed out, it is understandable. It would be far worse to force yourself to continue for the sake of finishing.

    Going back to 'shorts' doesn't sound bad at all. In fact, your first game, 72 Hours, interested me enough to follow you here back to your blogspot, so I'm looking forward to what you make next.

    Good luck and I'm sure everyone here hopes you make more entertaining games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for what you've done already.

    If you're feeling stressed out working on Rags, you should definitely take a break. It isn't worth your health rushing through this!

    Thanks for the hard work, and I hope to see more from Rags to Riches in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey no worries man, don't rush if you feel bad! Maybe try to finish the main story, and add details later? Still, the game's already pretty good and I can't wait to see what you'll add!

    ReplyDelete